Saturday 30 May 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


Publication date: 1st March, 2012

My rating: 3.75/5 stars

Goodreads page

Summary:

Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.

My thoughts:

I read this book quite a while back but wanted to review and recommend it now to you guys before the movie came out. 
This. Book. Is. Hilarious.

Funniest one I've ever read without a doubt. From the summary you can deduce that it's got a The Fault In Our Stars vibe but I see it more like a TFIOS parody. Not that that was the intention of this book but it sure feels like it sometimes. They've got their similarities; girl with cancer, funny side character, weird main guy,have I mentioned cancer? yeah. 

This book is different though. It doesn't revolve around the disease which I really really appreciate. I don't actually have much to say about this book because every time I remember the scenes I burst out laughing. Jesse Andrews wrote a comical masterpiece. The swearing tho. *claps*

I don't know how I feel about the ending. They made the Worst Film Ever. Really. If someone would've made a movie like that for me because I was dying, I would've risen from the dead to avenge my soul. I felt bad for Rachel. Like a lot. Greg fucked up. But I laughed it off because that's the beauty of this book. The author managed to lighten up serious situations without mocking anybody.

My favourite character in the book is Earl. That guy is such a badass and so much smarter than our main character Greg it's almost sad.

There's a scene towards the end where all the students assemble in the auditorium to watch the film which reminded me of the Looking For Alaska ending. Random sentence. Ignore.

If you want a book that will make you literally laugh out loud (I did. At 2 in the night), then I suggest you give this one a go since it's under 300 pages and a quick read. =D

Watch the trailer for the movie adaptation of this book:

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl trailer
















No comments:

Post a Comment